mandag 12. oktober 2015

American vs British

Checkpoints
1.    Name some words that are pronounced  differently in GA and RP.

Some words that are pronounced differently are car, star, pillar, etc. The r’s are pronounced differently. In RP the «r» is more round than in GA.

2.    Name the five main spelling differences between AE and BE.
1.    Some words that end in –ter in AE end in –tre in BE.
2.    Some words that end in –og in AE end in –ouge in BE.
3.    Some words that end in –or in AE end in –our in BE.
4.    Verbs that end in –ize/yze in AE end in –ise/yse in BE.
5.    In BE, the –L at the end of a word is doubled when a new ending is added. In AE the –L is only doubled if the stress is originally on the second syllable.

Language work

I am knackered and I must go to the toilet.
Are there any bathrooms close by?
Must I stand in line up behind that bloke?
Is there a drugstore anywhere close?
I am hungry.
At the crosswalk the popsicle lady directed us to take a diversion, but my truck was out of gas and it was impossible.

3 sentences

After eating some chips, I started walking down the sidewalk.
During my vacation, I bought a brand new truck!

My mom walked out of the store holding some cookies and candy.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar